Monday, November 15, 2010

A new challenge

On Saturday, we decided to go for a bike ride. We biked all the way down to our favorite park but it was too crowded to enjoy it. So we bike all the way back to our local school. In the parking lot we decided once and for all that Gabe was going to ride his bike with no trainning wheels. He has tried in the past with success, but just didn't trust himself. I was a bit frusterated inside with him. He is in 1st grade and HAS to know how to ride his bike! So Erik took off the trainning wheels in the parking lot of the school. And Erik gave him a push. Holy Cow that boy took off! Never even wobbled!


(pre haircut...pretty bad isn't it?!?)


I jumped up and down cheering like a wild woman. I am sure a few heads popped out their front doors to see what the fuss was about. So, a couple rounds in the parking lot and Erik taught him how to push off on his own. And the tears started flowing. Gabe gets so frusterated when he can't be "GOOD" at something right off the bat. We worked with him and he started getting nasty. So we told him to practice while we watched the other girls play.


(we unearthed a big goose egg on his forehead with his new haircut...a playground mishap a few days earlier)

At one point he said, "I GIVE UP!" as he let his bike fall to the ground. I wasn't going to hear any of that. I told him, "Longneckers don't give up when it's hard. Get back on that bike and try again!"

On the way home, he was still struggling starting on his own. I was not going to do it for him though. Both of us got left behind from the others but I was ready to stay out there until midnight until he made it home on his own. I wanted him to feel that accomplishment for himself.

He made it after a lot of tears and a scream on my part (he about fell into traffic and my heart stopped for a minute or two). When we reached our driveway, Isabel met him and said, "GOOD JOB GABE!" I was so thankful she did that. I love it when my children support each other.

Gabe still has some practice but I was so glad he was able to feel that accomplishment. And he learned, Mama won't let me give up since I am a Longnecker!!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer M. said...

Good for you, Allison! What a great lesson for him. You are such a good mom. He is so handsome! I loved both of those pictures, especially the one of him on the bike. What a great expression! If it makes you feel any better, I just cut Ethan's hair after 4 months. :)

Wendy said...

tough love, huh? It's good that you didn't let him give up! Good job Gabe!

lisapenn said...

What a great accomplishment! IT is so frustrating seeing them tip over again and again and want to give up. My Gabe was taught by his oler bro's. Made it much easier for mama!

Dana said...

I just love Gabe. He is just a sweet boy and I knew he could do it on his bike. What a super dude you are Gabe!!!! keep practicing and you will be racing one of these days.