Gabe found a caterpillar at school a while ago. He hid him in his pocket (I guess) until he came home from school. He named him SQUIRMY. He put him in a cup, took him for show and tell, fed him leaves, let him get exercise crawling all over him. He stroked his back and talked to him. It was all very sweet. Squirmy was officially Gabe's pet. Then Wednesday, Gabe came in the kitchen where Erik and I were. He just stood there. I finally turned around to see his hand out, holding Squirmy, stroking his back and crying. I asked, "Gabe, what's wrong?!" He busted out, "Squirmy died!!!!"
I pulled him close to hug him and he fought it for a split second (anyone who knows my Longnecker boys know this is a common thing). Then Gabe just melted in my arms with full on sobs. I know I sat on that kitchen floor holding him for at least 10 minutes. It was the saddest thing! It was a great teaching moment but at the same time, it broke my heart.
5 comments:
All I can say to the is . . . Aaaawwww!!!
:( Tell Gabe we're sorry. It is never fun to lose a friend, no matter the species.
Aww!!! That kills me. What a sweet boy!
Poor Gabe! What a sweet boy! What deep feelings; I hope is doing better since his loss... :(
The thing that I have learned about "tough" boys is that when decide to love something-- they love hard. What a sweet boy.
Post a Comment