Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer Time (it's a long one)

Yes, our summer is coming to a quick end here at our zoo. We have had a crazy busy summer with lots of family, surgeries, drives, tickets, wild animals, doctor visits, and even birthdays. Lots have happened so here goes....

My sister Dana had surgery up my way. She had a crappy doctor that let things get too far. So, I made her come up here. They got her into surgery and took out 8 inches of her intestines (some of which was a complete blockage of her small intestines the size of a softball), took out 5 liters of fluid (yes, that is 2 1/2 Coke bottles of nasty funk that was fermenting in her gut...great picture huh?). She had been on the couch or at the toilet puking since November. I am happy to report she is now a mother again! Able to eat without puking and gaining weight (97 lbs doesn't look good on any grown woman!) It was great to be the nurse for her during her recovery time at my house. I was sad to see her go but thankful she could be a mother and wife again to her family. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not thanking my Heavenly Father for the mercy He showed her and our family. I am thankful it wasn't her time to go, and grateful that my friend can still coach me through life's struggles and triumphs. I love you Dana! And thank you to all of those who included her in your prayers!!!
 


I took Kate to an allergist. This poor child was reacting everyday. We knew milk messed her up, but didn't know what else it would be. Now we know. Milk, eggs, fish, peanuts, and cats. We had to send Kali outside. It hurt my heart a little just because she didn't do anything to deserve being kicked out, but my child is more important. It's now a BIG pain to know what to feed her. I guess we will slowly get better at it.

So around the 4th we took off for a visit back home. Mom watched the kids over night so that Erik and I could celebrate our anniversary. It was nice being able to wake up to no children screaming your name. We ate breakfast and didn't have to struggle to feed anyone. It was nice and quiet...a great break.

The next morning us girls (and Everette) took Isabel for her birthday present, The American Doll store. She was beaming with excitement. We looked the whole store over before she made her selection. After a while, she decided on a little doll that had her same hair. She is a pretty doll. Ever since, her doll has been her main topic to talk about. Today she went to Target to get her a bracelet and her doll a matching one too. She is having a blast with her and it is a joy to watch.

 


 


Hanging out at my Mom and Dad's place is always fun for the kids and me. The kids love playing in the dirt, throwing rocks in the pond, and playing with her toys. Us adults play games (Carla always has a new unique game to learn. We act like kids again making each other laugh and almost pee in our pants. I won't share what the funniest thing that happened was... you might not ever want to associate with me again! But it was a riot!!!! Dana, you ought to show Reid!

 

My cousin, aunt, and Grandpa came to see Dana down at Mom's on the 4th. I hadn't seen my aunt or cousin for over two years. It was great seeing them. It was a quick visit but a fun one. We sat around the table talking like all the visits in the Bond home end up.

 


 


We stayed at my father-in-law's too for a few days. It is always fun being there. It's relaxing and peaceful. We came home shortly after that. Kate was scratching more and more. She was miserable to be around. Constantly crying and wanting to be held. We had to wrap her wrists up with gauze to keep her from scratching herself to death while we were gone. Her face was puffing up and there were gashes all over her body. I called the allergist and he told me to use a steroid cream since there was an infection from all the scratching. After her nap, I bumped her toe with something and she screamed like someone was hurting her severally. I thought, "Here we go again." I looked down and noticed her toe was purple and HUGE! I immediately knew something wasn't good here. I called Erik to come home so I could take her to the doctor. Sure enough, the child has a staff infection! Can you believe that? The doctor thinks all the scratching from the eczema caused the infection. We got her on a strong dose of antibiotics, using the steroid cream, and we have our old Kate back. Her body looks like a normal babies, and her face is as beautiful as the day she was born. I again have much to thank Heavenly Father for. Oh, if you only knew how I was on the verge of tears everyday looking at my child who was miserable and making everyone else miserable too. AHHHH!!!! My sweet Kate is playing again, and very loving. YIPEE!!!!

We have new friends that have come to visit us. Yes, those are two baby skunks eating the cat food...just great!
 

Need I say more?

Here are a few more pics from this summer you might enjoy...

 

 


 


 


 

 


 


 


 

10 comments:

Dawn said...

wow, you guys sure have been busy, glad to see all is on the mend, on all fronts. I can't believe how big your babies are getting! I think the cat allergy comes from the Sigferson side, a few of my kids are allergic too...what a whirlwind summer. When does school start? We only have 4 weeks on summer left! Yippee!

The Peters Family said...

Wow! You have been very busy! I love long posts!

Wendy said...

Yes, it was a short but busy summer huh? I can't believe they start school in a week(and 2 days)! I think we need a nice loooong walk on the greenway...what do you think?

klonghall said...

Great post! It almost makes me cry to see how big Kate & Anna are. It's been so long since I've seen them. Isabel looks so cute with her new doll. We love that store. I have to make good on my promise to take Abby there this summer. I love watching the girls who fix the dolls' hair. My kids have all 3 been playing with Legos this summer. Erik should do a "Cousin Lego Day Camp" sometime.

Bond Bedlam said...

Gabe is looking more and more grown up as is Isabel. They need to stop that.

Meghan said...

I love this post... thanks for the update. I want to know the funniest thing that happened! Spill it girl!!!

Dana said...

I just want all of you that know and love Allison and have known of my situation and have prayed for me or even had concern for me that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. We were really looking for a miracle and we got one. Allison I will always cherish you and everything you have done for me. I will always have such fond memories of recooping at your house . Thank you for helping me get back to being a mother. I love you!!!!!And skunks????? YOU never told me that. If its not one animal its another. Oh and you are sworn to secrecy about the funniest thing that has ever happened!!! YOUr friends and mine would totally disown us!!

~Erica and her gang~ said...

I'm glad you updated us. I am with Meghan I want to know what funny thing happened. I am so glad Kate is doing better.

Edie and Luke said...

Wow! What an eventful summer! I bet it went so fast with so many different things happening! Cute pics!

Beccarigg said...

What a great update! I can't believe how much has been going on in your life lately with your sister and also little Kate. It's so frustrating when little ones are sick! I'm glad they've diagnosed her allergies and that her infection is gone. The girls have grown up so much this last year! They are truly little beauties!