Tuesday, January 6, 2009


Over the Christmas break, we went to Georgia to my in-law's and also my mother's. We can never go anywhere without at least someone being on drugs for some kind of illness. We were doing good until a couple days after we had been there. Gabe kept getting worse and worse. Erik left to go back home on a Monday and I decided to take Gabe into the ER that night. We went in at 8:45pm and got back home at 4:30 am...MISERABLE! The reason for the ER is because his breathing was not normal and was increasingly getting worse. I was scared and didn't want him to stop breathing all together; who knows if that would have happend, but I wasn't willing to take the chance.

His oxygen intake was 89%. From what the Dr said, 95% should be the lowest it ever goes. They wanted to admit him. They did a breathing treatment and the level only increased to a 91-92%. They gave me a prescription for steriods and an inhaler to use. The dr wanted me to follow up with another regular doctor in the morning. I felt like there wasn't a real reason to do that since he had drugs to get him through until we saw our doctor at home.

Fast forward to today...I took him in to our EXCELLENT dr that we have in the city we use to live in. The only thing wrong with him is that he is an hour away. I wish he wasn't. He checked his oxygen and it is only 93% still. He told me he has Reactive Airway Disease...a precurser to asthma. He told me several things to do, and told me to use the inhaler 3x a day. Also an antibiotic to clear up the problem that starts these reactions. Then 3 months from when he is over this, we will do test and stuff to see where to go.

Never in a million years would I think my children would be "sick" kids. Now I have one with this and one with food allergies and two with cronic ear infections. Boy oh boy! I guess it could be worse. Thank Heavens for modern medicine!

10 comments:

~Erica and her gang~ said...

I am so sorry to hear about Gabe!! I hope everthing works out :) I have to agree it really almost never fails when you travel someone will come down with something!

Dana said...

Amen for that girl!!! Could you imagine our lives without modern medicine. Oh that would be bad!! And insurance that is another thing I am grateful for.

The Thomas Family said...

How stressful. I'm sorry.

You were here huh?! Did it go by way to quickly?! When ever I go home it always goes by way too quickly.

Wendy said...

I hate trying to decide if they are sick enough to take into the doctor. You made a good call taking him into the ER. I'm surpried to hear is still sick...he looked good in church. You are doing a good job with your children...we love them even if they are "sick" kids!

klonghall said...

Did the Dr. mention any kinds of things that might trigger this kind of thing? Maybe this will be a way to have no inside cats??? I hope the meds work for him. I, too, am so grateful for insurance and good doctors and good medicine. I would have made a lousy pioneer mom.

herb said...

Sorry to hear about Gabe. Kudos to you to take him to the ER! Somebody was watching over you guys. Let's hope that they'll find out exactly what causes it and avoid any long term effects! Keep us posted.

Heather said...

That is scary! My sister and brother had really, really bad asthma as little kids...like trips to hospital, breathing machines, the whole bit. Good news is, though, that they both totally grew out of it. My little brother can even handle skating full speed in the freezing cold. I'm sure Gabe will be fine, too. He's a trooper!

Bond Bedlam said...

Yeah I agree - I think Gabe will out grow the asthma thing - Kate and her allergies - They might get better but I think she will always have some allergies. And YES the cat dander is terrible for allergies. I feel it every time I go to your house. And to think I use to have cats when I was a kid.

Dawn said...

poor little guy! And darn, asthma! that really isn't any fun. I hope they all outgrow it. For sure the ear infection thing, at least when they get older, colds shouldn't affect the ears as much. Good luck!

Beccarigg said...

Wow that is so scary! I'm glad they figured out what's wrong and are helping him. I can't imagine how stressed you must've been. I've never imagined having sick kids either and I think I'd be a wreck if I had to take one to the hospital! I'm sure it will happen one day, but like you said, thank goodness for modern medicine!