Thursday, July 24, 2008

Our blue belly button boy


In our zoo if there is an easier way to do things, we try to do it. Not that we are lazy people, we just try to avoid meltdowns, breakdowns, fights, and fits whenever possible. So when I saw the new product advertise between Handy Manny and The Backyardagins, I had to give it a try. It would make my life easier if it worked.

It's a mouth wash that is suppose to turn your teeth blue if there is still plaque on your teeth that has been missed. Isabel is not the problem. She is great at brushing her teeth and when I check them, she usually gets every last one.
The genius product was suppose help with our strong headed son. He hates having his teeth brushed. It is a constant battle in my life. He wants to do it himself and fights when I do it. But if he does it by himself...it's just nasty. So this new blue liquid was going to fix all my problems.

Walmart got my business and we were all excited to try it that night. Save your money people! It doesn't work like I thought it would, but that isn't what this post is about. I warned the kids that this was just suppose to be swooshed around in the mouth then after they count to 30, spit it out; don't swallow it or leave the bathroom with it. Another side note, it doesn't end up in the sink with my crew. It is all over the faucet, mirror, side of the cabinet...I am sure there is some that I haven't found yet...only a matter of getting on my hands and knees I am sure.

The next night I come into my bathroom (Yes, I kept it in there since I could envision blue stuff all over my carpet and walls) and Gabe is walking out with a guilty look on his face. Oh great! What else do I have to fix, throw away, clean up, or cry over?
I see the lid off my magic blue potion and realized he swallowed it. I asked him what he did. He told me just what I expected. I said, "Gabe! How much did you swallow?" I am usually a laid back kind of mom and would think, he might get a tummy ache but he will be fine. But on the back of the bottle it said, "CALL POISON CONTROL IMMEDIATELY IF SWALLOWED". I also wanted to make a point that when I say something it is to protect you and keep you safe, healthy, and happy. I told him, sarcastically, it would probably eat up his stomach. I asked him if his belly button was turning blue. He looked down and inspected his cute little belly button. I wanted to laugh but chose to do it inwardly. I called Poison Control just to make sure everything was on the up and up. The operator said it was fine since it was alcohol free.

I told him to go drink some water while I got the girls situated. I found him in his room crying and looking down at his belly button. I asked him what was wrong and he said, "I don't want my belly to eat up and die and turn blue." Tears were streaming down his face and my heart broke. I didn't mean to scare him- that bad but glad it did make an impact on him. I held him and told him he would be ok but to never drink anything again that I told him not to.

I have caught him a couple more times checking to make sure his belly button isn't blue. HA HA HA!!!!




19 comments:

The Checks Mix said...

So cute! Isn't amazing how literal kids take things! That made me feel better that you do that too. Sometimes I have to almost be morbid with Haela so that she understands why I tell her she can't do certain things. I, too want her to understand that I say these things to protect her because I love her. i.e I showed her pictures of people with hookworm so she would understand why I want her to wear her shoes outside!

Samantha said...

Seriously, you'll have to write a book when he's grown.

Leighanna said...

Allison - That is so funny! Poor Gabe! But good lesson learned, hopefully! :o)

herb said...

Great job at scaring that poor lil' boy for life! He'll never drink anything blue again!

Scott said...

Sweet Gabe, first he breaks his leg before Disney World, second the fire department comes to get his hand out of the television, and now his mom is calling poison control.

I remember using that plaque stuff when I was a kid, except it made the plaque red. It was probably full of alcohol then too.

Brinn said...

Too funny! Hey I posted a sneak peek of the pictures from tonight on my blog if you want to take a look. Got some good ones of the girls and you!!

Dawn said...

I have a love/hate relationship with that stuff as well. I love that is makes the crap show up on their teeth, hate that I have to wipe it off of every surface in the bathroom. Just make sure you've got poison control on speed dial;)

The Peters Family said...

You are hilarious! That's a good one.

Wendy said...

I've been wanting to try that stuff, I won't bother now... thanks! Isn't it fun having a boy!?

Dana said...

All I have to say is that you have a boy. Boys are CRAZY!!!! I keep telling everyone in the family that its a boy thing.

herb said...

I loved the story. Why do kids not listen?? I guess some things just have to be experienced to make an impact.

Bond Bedlam said...

Well you sure did a good job on scaring him. Yeah but every 3 year old deserves it.

Bond Bedlam said...

Hey I like the new background on your blog

Carla said...

Awe! I an empathize! I told Chloe we'd have to chop off her leg. (Chad does it and she laughs.) I guess I didn't do it right, b/c she thought I was serious and started crying. I felt HORRIBLE! But hey, maybe he'll listen.

klonghall said...

That Gabe cracks me up! I agree with Dana. Boys are crazy! You just can't even explain, sometimes, what might be going through their little minds when they do things.

One of my sweet boys, who shall remain nameless, has been farting in his brother's face all week. Even when I scolded him for being gross, he just cracked up. He couldn't even pretend to be sorry. I kept thinking about Erik (who would have been cracking up with him) while I gave my speech. I figure I was wasting my breath. I don't see the fun in being gross and the fascination with bodily functions like they do?

diegohall said...

hahahahahahah! hahahahaahahahahah! hahahahahah! hahahahaha! hahahahah! (pant, pant, pant, pant) hahahahaha! ahahahahahaha! That kid is too funny!

Beccarigg said...

LOLOLOL! Great story! That's so cute what he said about his belly eating up and dying! What a sweet little guy!

I know how it can be with the battle of brushing teeth. Teya always wants to do it herself too and of course is too small to do it well. When we try to help it becomes a huge ordeal. Hopefully she'll grow out of this stage, or at least get better at brushing her teeth!

Kat Rose said...

So funny, and he is so cute. I love to see your cute life.

Norma said...

This is too funny! I seriously have tears rolling down my eyes! I guess it would be kind of mean but If Gabe were my kid (after he'd gotten over his worries) I's sneak in when he was sleeping and give him a blue belly button!