Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ode to the Nasty Yellow Box



So my two older sisters called me on a three way phone deal, don't know how it works but it was fun. We started talking about Cheerios. Little know fact with me and the beloved Cheerios...they are not allowed in my home. I know, I know, it is like a staple for children; Cheerios littering the floor of the chapel at church, stuffed in every one's diaper bags, in every parents shopping cart...but never mine!!!!!!

We went to my sister's home over Spring Break and my kids kept asking Aunt Dana for Cheerios for breakfast. She said, "Allison, you are depriving your children of a wonderful thing." The thought alone made me cringe.

Little history. My mom went back to college after my baby sister went to Kindergarten. She use to fix us pancakes, waffles, eggs, and toast for breakfast. But when her schedule took her away from home, the cereal came in. Having five kids she bought the "cheapest and healthiest" cereal she could = CHEERIOS. I vividly recall those nasty yellow boxes lining the floor in our kitchen pantry. Box, after box, after box, after nasty yellow box. There was no variety, no choice, just the nasty yellow box.



I told my sisters how I can't stand the smell, the look, or the box. Years of those nasty, floating, soggy/spongy, smelly O's are more than my brain can take. When I moved out, I swore I would never again torture myself or anyone I loved with such an in editable material.



Yes, Erik made me try the nasty Fruity kind. A cheap imitation that missed the mark in trying to make it better and more fun to eat. Really missed the mark! It made me gag just the same as the normal nasty yellow box's contents did as a kid. As Marie and Dana were talking about how they tasted like Fruit Loops, I couldn't take it any longer. This was true blasphemy!

So for all of you out there who cheer at the sight of Cheerios...fine. But as for me and my house...it will never enter!

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow, this is something I never knew! I totally get the association thing though. There are certain meals that I do not make for my family that my mom made quite frequently. OK, so I have to admit that I love Cheerios. If there was only one cereal, I would want it to be just plain Cheerios:)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one - I hate Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Fruity Cheerios and any other amalgamtion that they can come up with. Yuck!!!

I loves me some Cinnamon Life (made with real sugar not HFCS).

klonghall said...

I love Cheerios. But, if I had never had any other cereal offered to me growing up, I'm sure I wouldn't. We loved Corn Pops and Lucky Charms. I can't imagine cooking breakfast for my kids every day. I wouldn't want to start my every day with more dishes to wash. (Call me selfish!) I try really hard to cook dinner every week night. But, for breakfast, it needs to be fast and not make a mess. See, that's what I love about having Erik make pancakes on vacation and Dad there to clean it up. Oh, and you to keep those counters clean.

Don't you hate Corn Flakes, too? I seem to recall your telling me that, too.

klonghall said...

I love Cheerios. But, if I had never had any other cereal offered to me growing up, I'm sure I wouldn't. We loved Corn Pops and Lucky Charms. I can't imagine cooking breakfast for my kids every day. I wouldn't want to start my every day with more dishes to wash. (Call me selfish!) I try really hard to cook dinner every week night. But, for breakfast, it needs to be fast and not make a mess. See, that's what I love about having Erik make pancakes on vacation and Dad there to clean it up. Oh, and you to keep those counters clean.

Don't you hate Corn Flakes, too? I seem to recall your telling me that, too.

Dana said...

OH that was cute!!! I have a theory. You didn't really hate the cheerios you hated what they represented. AS much as mom needed to go to school you hated the fact that she no longer had the time to cook us those wonderful delicious breakfasts anymore.

The Longnecker Zoo said...

No Dana... I HATE CHEERIOS!!!!! I do wish mom didn't go to school and work but I TRULY HATE CHEERIOS!!!!!!

herb said...

I get the impression you are not completely honest with us. Tell us how you really feel about Cheerios!

Samantha said...

HaHa. I do have Cheerios in my cabinet, but only because they were on sale and I had a coupon. I try to fix a hot breakfast every morning, but LK has no interest. I'm hoping that she appreciates it one day. It's so funny how moments in our childhood can shape us so and our children. Your poor Cheerio deprived zoo (just kidding).

Lauren said...

I like honey nut cheerios and the fruit ones ok (especially if there is real honey in the house to put on the honey nut ones)... but don't ask me to show you the pics my dad took of me when I had my "annie" perm for a cheerios photo contest. I think I was 8 or 9... and it's no wonder I din't win. Scary. Even scarier than cheerios breath.

They are not a regular staple for us, either, and the fruity ones o not compare to fruit loops!

Wendy said...

That is too funny and you started a real buzz about Cheerios! Tell your kids anytime they want to have Cheerios just come over to the Allen's! We always (except today) have Honey Nut Cheerios, Jack LOVES them. It is my "safe" cereal. Anyone in the house will eat them.

Leighanna said...

That's about the funniest thing I've heard! I have the same feeling about a certain kind of HI-C drink. When I was eight and really sick (right before I was diagnosed with diabetes)all I drank for about a month was this HI-C. It was "Slimer" flavored (like from Ghostbusters)... yeah, early 90s. Anyways... to this day if I ever smell a fruit drink that resembles that one, I gag. I also can't eat peanut butter crackers - I had to eat them everyday for a snack at school as part of my diet to keep my diabetes regulated. They gross me out... (plus some kid thought it would be funny to nickname me "crackers" and I think it psychologically damaged me!! LOL)

The Peters Family said...

this is hilarious!
I never ate cheerios without loads of sugar on them growing up.
I can count on one hand how many times I've bought a plain box for Anna.

The Thomas Family said...

Okay our home was the exact same way growing except we also had Weeties and Corn Flakes. On our really lucky days we would have Raisen Brand. I hated it! The funny thing is I've kind of become a health freak the older my kids get and that's basically all I get too. Except I try to shake it up and get the Mutligrain and Honeynut. They are not cheap though. I fork out like $5 a box. I hear you though. I really do hate the smell of them after they have sat in milk for a while or the taste they leave in your mouth if you burp after eating them. :) Sorry, I'm so disgusting. Did I make you vomit in your mouth?! :) I'll stop.

Bond Bedlam said...

OKAY! Now I have damaged you for life - they always blame the mother - Herb you are so funny!

The Checks Mix said...

Hilarious! Isn't funny how traumatic things in our childhood spill over into adulthood?!