Friday, May 16, 2008

Miss Smarty Pants!

 

We all went to pick up Isabel the other day and since it was so pretty we played on the playgrounds at the school. She got in her folder and pulled out a book she made in class on the solar system. She recited the names of the planets. But she left out PLUTO. I said, "Isabel there are 9 planets, not 8. You forgot Pluto."
I: "No I didn't Mama."
me: "yes you did."
I : Nah-Uhh Mama"
me:"Ya hah Isabel." (I am ashamed to say this went on for a few rounds)

Then she said, "Pluto is not a planet. It is a dwarf planet and not a real planet any more." (My mouth drops open at this point, I wanted to say, "you don't know what you are talking about miss smarty pants!" but she said it with such confidence.)

I turned to another mother that was near by and said, "Pluto is still a real planet right?" She said, "No, just recently they determined it wasn't a planet."

Where have I been??????

Oh yea, raising four kids and only watching Bob the Builder, Dora, and Wonder Pets.

Need I even mention Isabel was wearing an I TOLD YOU SO look on her face?
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Samantha said...

I was nannying for a four year old little boy when the whole Pluto thing came about. It was a huge deal (on National Public Radio) at the time; a great debate about whether it should have happened. It was very difficult trying to explain why it wasn't a planet anymore and I remember his preschool teacher joking that it had ruined her "There are nine planets" song. I think they do this stuff just so they can print new text books!

klonghall said...

They love to "get us" on stuff like this, don't they? I've learned not to argue with them on Science matters--I always lose. That was never my best subject anyway. I still don't really understand the whole "Pluto is not a planet" thing, either.

Bond Bedlam said...

Oh scientists are always changing things - Even Global Warming is debatable. Anyway you are doing what you should be doing. Oh yeah don't you just hate it when a 6 year old knows more than you do. I am sure she had a BIG smile on her face.

Wendy said...

Well, this is news to us also! I just read this to Dave and Max, Max said "What, Pluto isn't a planet?" But of couse Dave already knew. He is "Mr.News" anyway.

Carla said...

haha, yeah, they'd gone back and forth for a while before deciding that it wasn't. i'm with the new text book theory!

Dana said...

Yeah this is totally confusing to me too. Why do they have to cause such confusion between mother and child?? We grew up and it was a planet and now our children call it a mini-planet? It hasn't disappeared so why not still call it a planet? I bet you felt real dumb when you asked the other mom and she told you the same thing Isabel did. Danget they aren't suppose to be right!!!!

herb said...

To me Pluto will always be a planet! Poor Pluto...

The Peters Family said...

funny! My 10 yr old neighbor told me the same thing about Pluto, and her mom looked at me and asked, "did you know that?" I was just like, uh, no. News to me too. Glad I heard about it now before Anna starts school.

The Peters Family said...

funny! My 10 yr old neighbor told me the same thing about Pluto, and her mom looked at me and asked, "did you know that?" I was just like, uh, no. News to me too. Glad I heard about it now before Anna starts school.