Kate, Allison, Anna
I have often told Dana, my sister, how crazy people act and the dumb things they say when I am out in public with Anna and Kate. Like they have never seen two babies before. She got the full effect this weekend while we were shopping. She mainly had Eliza in a baby wrap so most didn't even see her until after a while. So we were shopping in a store and every person we passed said, "AHHHH", "Are they twins?", "Look Mama, two babies!", "Are they both yours?", "TWINS, oh my goodness!", "You have your hands full don't you?", "You must love kids.", "OH man! There are two of them." The list goes on. Most want to have a long conversation with me and by the 60th (kid you not) person, I am just too tired to entertain them. She has often heard me talk about these occurrences and now she knows what I am talking about. She said, "they aren't even mine but I started to ignore people and not look at them when they were gawking so I wouldn't have to talk to them." I said, "Now you know how I feel". I do feel like a freak show - adorable freak show - most times I am in public. I know it is fun seeing twins but for a mom of twins, it's really not exciting like people make it out to be. Let me clarify...I adore Anna and Kate. They were meant to come together. I would not change it for anything. But it isn't abnormal for me. It's my life. Two babies is not that big of a deal. So I really don't know what all the fuss is about. And it is sooo draining for me to smile and talk about every detail to a total stranger (I don't mind if I know you or even half way know you!). It makes my trips to the store much longer than they need to be. So for all you non-twin people out there. Just a little tip :0) Smile at the mom and say, "They are beautiful" or "What a blessing you have been given." Or Just SMILE! And be done with it.
Mom and Kate
13 comments:
I get those comments with my 1 baby, I don't think I could handle double the comments. I normally just smaile and politely keep moving.
Wow I had no idea it was that bad! You can leave them with me anytime you want to be able to go for a quick trip to the store! I would love to play mom of twins for a SHORT while!
this post cracks me up! I understand a teeeeeny bit, when Harper was 6 months I started to babysit a little girl who was 4 months (and extremely smaller). Every time I took them ANYWHERE I got stopped constantly to look at the "TWINS". (Hello?! Do people not notice the size difference? and the fact that harper is a blondey and the little girl was dark? oh well....) Thankfully I got to give the little girl back to her mother at the end of the day... :) Love the pics of you two!
"Are they twins?"
"Yes", and then I just keep on walking. Some people probably think that I'm rude.
May be I'll start printing up shirts: "Yes, they are!"
I agree, I get lots of comments with just one so I can't imagine what it must be like with two adorable little girls. I don't mind the comments as much as those people that insist on putting there hands all over them. Hello, stranger! What are people thinking.
Here here, I can attest to that. Its almost like people just don't know how to act when they see two babies in the same place at the same time. We were quick the freak show weren't we!!
Herb, I love the shirt idea! Make me one too :0)
I had one woman stop looking at clothes on the rack she was at and go around four other racks just to get to us to see the girls. I was trying to outrun her but the dang stroller got caught on something. Just my luck!
Amen!!!
Alison, I know exactly what you are talking about. It doesn't end either. Believe it of not on two occasions, I have had people look at all three of the boys and ask if they are triplets. Alex thinks he is as big as the boys, does that count?
You are lookin really great, Allison. You are going to have to tell me your secret for doing it all.
Oh man - yes when we went out with the stroller and they were sleeping and COVERED UP - strangers still wanted to see! You and Marie were so close in age that I got that ALL the time - Are they twins - you were even a newborn and Marie visably much older and they would ask "Are they twins." Babies attract attention anyway and when there are two - yeah to have to run to avoid the hassle.
I get those comments with my boys, and one is a head taller than the other. I think that the magority of the people are just clueless. Next time you hear, my you have your hands full, just say Yes, and the rest are in school. That ought to shut them up. Joan used to say that, and she was telling the honest truth!
Oh and my girlfriend had twins this week, one with light hair, one with dark, I can't imagine the comment she'll start hearing!
Post a Comment