Gabe started crying. It was an unusual cry for him and he told me to come here. I come down the stairs to see his like this. (sorry for the quality of picture, someone was messing with my camera and for obvious reasons didn't have to to figure out what setting it was on)
His poor little arm was stuck between the base of the TV and the screen. Since that part is attached, I couldn't figure out how to get his arm out. No amount of tugging or pulling was working. It only sent him into more ear piercing screams and him yelling that I was hurting him. He was REALLY stuck.
So who do I call? Erik. He can fix just about any problem. He didn't know what to tell me to do other than call 911. So that's what I did.
"911 What's your Emergency?" Oh boy, how do I start that conversation? "Well, my child's arm is stuck in the TV." "What?" "Yea, my son's arm is stuck between the base and the TV screen. I have tried everything I know to do and I can't get it out." I could just see this sweet lady on the other end smiling, trying not to chuckle, and being happy it was a non-life threatening call. "OK mame, stay on the line and I will send the EMT's out. Try to keep your son calm." Yes, he was still screaming and yelling, "IT HURTS, OWIE"
A few minutes later a knock at the door. That didn't take long. Good to know in a real emergency. This sweet cop comes in and says what's the problem. He sees Gabe and says, "Oh poor kid!" then starts smiling. He tried to get his arm out with no luck too. I hear sirens down the road and think, "Wow, I wonder what the neighbors are thinking." In walk four EMT/Firemen. They put on their purple gloves and got to work.
I have nothing to do but watch. What do you do? Offer everyone a drink and snack? No, I look around and see the after math of what appears to be a horrid tornado that came through my living room. Oh man! What a wreak. I had to push games, toy cars, exersaucers, baby swings and tons of other things out of the way so these men could rescue my son. How embarrassing.
More sirens and in walks two paramedics. Yes, seven people in my home to rescue my three year old who got stuck trying to get his cars from behind the television. The firemen asked for some Dawn soap and a spray bottle...why didn't I think of that? I guess between the screams and frustration my mind wasn't in top shape. A few minutes later, he was free. The paramedic checked out his arm to make sure it wasn't damaged in any way. He was swollen but fine.
My hats are off to those men, they got Gabe's arm free without breaking our TV. Yippee!!!!
14 comments:
Hahaha. There is truly never a dull moment in your "zoo". Glad to know that poor Gabe is doing okay.
Somehow I have a feeling this story will become one of your family favorites!
I bet you that Gabe will stay clear of the TV for quite some time now.
Oh my heavens Gabe!!! What an ordeal. YOu poor guy. Its quite worse than what I pictured in my head.
hahaahahahaahahahaa!!!!! Poor thing! I'm talking about you, allison! You need to give yourself more credit - I think it is hilarious that you had the presence of mind to take some good photos for the blog! :D
Give Gabe a hug for me and take a Valium once Erik gets home.
Donnie
Like father, like son... Have you ever heard the story of Erik getting his arm stuck in an automatic door at a store (Richway--where the old Target was in Jonesboro)? He tried to run out the wrong way, the door closed on his arm, and he was stuck. It was one of the old kind that was triggered by stepping on a pad on the floor. The door swung open and closed--it didn't slide like they do now. They didn't want to have anyone open the door, because he was in it "backwards." I can't remember how he finally got out. I remember my mother was mad at him for running around the entrance/exit of the store in the first place. As I recall, his arm was swollen for days.
You are one SERIOUS BLOGGER!!!! To have in your mind this event would be great for my BLOG! I love it - oh how funny!!!! - Give Gabe a hug and a kiss for me and tell him that I am glad he is Okay -
Kim's story about Eric is so funny. Maybe it is like father like son.
This was the funniest post. Sorry, I guess it was at Gabe's expense. I'm sure he'll laugh about it some day too.
That's a really nice TV. I can see why Eric said to go ahead and call 911 rather then just braking the TV to get Gabe's arm out.
By the way the whole time I was reading this post I couldn't help but think this totally sounds like our Spence. Our crazy three year old boys. Spence never ceases to surprise me.
Thanks for the pictures, that makes the story even better. Of course, Gabe will not be able to say you are exaggerating when the story gets told over and over again.
Allison - I love reading your blog! You are a great visual writer and hilarious! Life is certainly never dull over there! Ü
Allison - I love reading your blog! You are a great visual writer and hilarious! Life is certainly never dull over there! Ü
We love it! Great story! Poor little Gabe. A boy needs his car-cars though. I love that the EMT's posed for the camera and now we all know that you can free arms using Dawn soap and a spray bottle. Thanks for the tip.
I wonder if Hannah will stop putting things in the VCR if I show her these pics of Gabe trapped in the TV?
That is hilarious! Who would have thought? If I was the 9-1-1 lady I would have thought you were nuts!! Good thing you were validated in needing 7 strong men to help out!
Oh, poor little guy, He will NEVER forget that either. He might even grow up and want to be the fire fighter himself! Glad it worked out ok. How emberassing about the mess, it happens to us all.
Post a Comment