Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Conference Weekend

Well I have read several blogs about Conference over the weekend. I love hearing how spiritual and uplifting everyone thought the talks were.



But can I say, it was miserable for me and Erik. Our children got in more trouble this weekend than the past three months combined. I felt like our home was a train wreak and I was in the middle of the chaos. It has been a while since I have felt so out of control. There were fights, yells, screams, pulling hair, touching, disobedience, and just pure nastiness from Isabel and Gabe. I felt like crying! And especially after all those nice things I said about them in the previous posts. AHHHH!

So Sunday, in between sessions I went for a walk. I called my sister and she said her kids were doing the same things. I was some-what relieved that it wasn't just my kids, but just as much frustrated and discouraged for both of us. What are we doing wrong? They aren't listening, they aren't being kind to one another, they are back talking, they are...the list goes on.

I must say, I have never wanted to do anything else with my life other than be a wife and a mother. For me, there was no other options. I have since a child knew that's what I was put on this earth to do. And I do want my children to have a good mother, a good father, a peaceful home as a safe haven, all the things that they deserve as children of God.

I got off the phone with a promise from my sister if she found the key she would let me know. I walked in the warm sunshine that I have been missing for months and prayed. I asked Heavenly Father to help because I was not liking my kids very much at that point and I don't like feeling that way. I am sure He was trying to tell me things but the busy road, people mowing their lawns, and the world interfered with me hearing anything.

I listened to the most of the last session but ended up falling asleep on the couch. Erik said, "Did you hear that last talk?" I had no clue what he was talking about. He said, "Good thing I recorded it for you." Thank Heavens for DVR's.

I played it back after we put the kids to bed and saw Elder M. Russell Ballard. He talked about Mothers of young children. Heavenly Father answered my prayer and gave me comfort through this talk. This was just what I needed to hear. I hope those of you who didn't get a chance or don't know what this is all about to hear his talk can listen to it (email me and I can send you the link). The thing that stuck out the most, for me, is "Joy of Motherhood comes in Moments", and to "Live in the Moment" and don't forget to LAUGH (I haven't been doing enough of that lately!!). What I am doing IS important and to keep trying to be a better mother every day.



I do still love being a mother and feel there is no greater calling than being a mother and a father. I am grateful Erik and I chose for me to stay at home with our children. I am also so very thankful that Heavenly Father answered my prayers and loves me for helping Him raise his choice spirits.

7 comments:

herb said...

It's tough being parents of 4 children, especially with multiples thrown into the mix!

I'm gonna tell Elizabeth to give you a ring sometime (Do we have your guys' number?). Sounds like you both could use a mother-of-multiples talk!

The Guymons Gossip said...

It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way! Reading your conference blog was an inspirtaion to me! Thanks, I needed to hear it!
(Dana's friend from Alaska)
-Erika
The "arm incident" that happened to your little guy, sounds like something that would happen to MY kids!

klonghall said...

Some days are just like that. Heck, some years are just like that. And, sleep deprivation makes it all so much worse, too. Be kind to yourself--even lower your expectations some, i.e. some days all you get accomplished is taking a shower, and that's OK. As far as getting the kids to bicker less, well, if you find a magic remedy for that, let me know, too. Mine do best when they've had time apart. School is a wonderful thing for that! (I could never homeschool, I'd lose my mind without a break!) We've also discovered that Bridger tends to lose it when he is hungry, so I try not to let him get to that breaking point. Oh, and I find that I tend to lose it when I haven't eaten for a long time, too... 5:00 can be pretty hairy around here. A peanut butter sandwich at 4:00 along with a Diet Coke can completely change my afteroon. :-)

It gets better. It really does. Elder Ballard's talk was the best--so what I needed to hear, too, and my kids are getting older.

Can we start a chant (like Lars likes to get the kids to do): beach, beach, beach, beach, beach...

Sorry this is so long... Call and gripe with me anytime. Remember, I had a kid who didn't sleep until he was 3, I've survived many, many a day of chaos around here. You are one of the best moms that I know!

The Thomas Family said...

Okay that's weird. Our kids were behaving the same way. I had very similiar thoughts. Most of my thoughts were how I had some how failed my kids if they are choosing to behave that way during conference.
You seriously made my day. Thanks for the post!!!!
Loved that talk too. Luke and I were laughing so hard when he talked about sitting in church with his kids without his wife. That was a great talk.

Elizabeth said...

That was my favorite talk of conference. I needed to hear it and I think it will be quoted quite a bit. I'm impressed that you took a walk, I would have been one of the ones screaming. I'm glad the Lord answered you prayers so quickly.

Bond Bedlam said...

Okay all you young mothers - My kids fought like crazy - I would cry and wonder what in the heck I was doing wrong - Allison and Reid were at it ALL THE TIME - Guess what they grown up and LOVE eachother - It is amazing - and now I would give ANYTHING to go back to those years with little ones under my feet - it goes way... to fast. Just keep on keeping on and your children will amaze you someday.

Carla said...

Oh my heck, i was on CLOUD 9 after that talk!! It was fabulous and made me SO emensely grateful for my fabulous family! It was the only session i got to hear and I'm so glad i got to hear that one.