I love this chair. I have had it ever since I was 9+ months Pregnant with Isabel (2002). My father-in-law gave us this chair as a baby gift. He said, “Pick out what you want and give me the bill.” Like anything we spend money on, Erik had to ‘browse’ many different places to find the best deal. We traveled for miles looking at different places that sold rockers.
We traveled to a far off city, I don’t remember where, and found this one. I love the pattern but really wanted it in yellow. My luck, one wasn’t in stock but they could order it and we could pick it up in a week. That was my due date. I didn’t want to have to travel back there or have Erik do it when we had the baby. On a normal day, I would have done that. But being “great with child”, tired, swollen, and worn down I didn’t care anymore. We put it in the back of the truck and headed home.
This Blue Rocker has seen me through many, many days. It has seen every one of my sweet little newborns on their first day and night home. It has seen trying times, like an all nighter when one is teething. It has seen sweet days when I can take the time and just rock my baby to sleep. It has been covered with breast milk, boogers, throw up, food, drinks, and who knows what else. It has held up my children when they are learning to stand and walk on their own. It has held grandparents and their father while they rock one of my sweet ones. It has held a brother or sister rock their little tiny siblings. It has been used all hours of the night and all hours of the day. It has seen tears from each child and sometimes me as well. Yes, it has been rocked in for many miles.
Not only has this chair been rocked in it has also been surfed on, bounced on, ran into with the vacuum, been a tent, and a discipline spot. It has been a gathering spot for stuffed animals and baby dolls. It has been a folding spot for laundry.
While most see just a blue rocker, I see my life and the reason why I was put on this earth. I see my future. I even see my posterity. I love this rocker. And I even love that it is blue. It matches every one of my children’s eyes. Maybe it will see many more years, tears, smiles and miles...
(and yes, we do cleaned it!)
9 comments:
Okay I didn't get a chance to finish reading it on the phone. I got to the end and started crying too. You were so eloquent!!! Very touching!!
Wonderfully written post! You really are a terrific writer! I actually think the glider idea was Mother's. She bought us one before Bridger was born. You know how she was about being fair. She wanted to get one for each of us. I'm a little jealous, though, because they got a lot better in between 1997 and when you bought yours. Mine isn't nearly as nice. I love that rocker of yours, too! 'Wish I was there right now to rock a baby in it. Love the post!
If furniture could talk, I would like to hear it's version. :)
I loved this post. You are such a good writer. Some of us have a hard time just spelling correctly, but you do a fantastic job.
I remeber when you got that chair. I was jealous. I wanted one just like it for Karly. Time flies.
I just watched that CNN video. Wow!
Talk about neat. I just kept watching it over and over. What are the odds?!!
P.S. You are so cute. It's funny, you look basically the same. How lucky are you?!
OH yes the rocker - I had a green one of Grandmas - I would sit in it and all the kids would gather around it and hang on it.
Allison great post. I love it.
One day it will be featured on the "Antique Roadshow" with plenty of stories to go along!
You are delightful and your posts are always inspiring. I love that you always find the greatness is such small things... like a rocker. Your family is lucky to have you.
It's amazing how something seemingly insignificant can evoke so many memories. What a blessing to be able to recognize those things.
I say again... You are amazing.
Kim
It's amazing how something seemingly insignificant can evoke so many memories. What a blessing to be able to recognize those things.
I say again... You are amazing.
Kim
Post a Comment