Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Day in the Life of.... ME! (not for the weak hearted!)

BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! Great, the alarm is going off. It is way too early. After getting up at 2:30 and then again at 5:00 am, 6:45 came way too soon! I wish is was Saturday. Get up Allison, Isabel will be late for school.

I drag Isabel out of bed and she isn't a happy camper either. She says, "Mama, I don't want to go to school." I think, 'I wish you weren't in school either. We could all sleep in that way.' I pour a bowl of cereal for her and get myself half way dressed so I won't totally embarrass her when we walk to school, although never looking in the mirror. Pick Isabel's clothes out and come into the living room where I remind Isabel for the millionth time, "Eat Isabel or you will be hungry." I throw Isabel's crazy wild hair into a pony tail, what is quicker and easier than a simple ponytail?



After getting Isabel to school, I "start" my day. Gross, the kitchen floor is disgusting. As I scrape the cereal off of my foot (mental note, sweep the floor) I get myself some breakfast, chocolate milk and cereal for Gabe and turn on the cartoons. Peace and quiet for a few minutes while I look at the latest junk mail on the table.

"Gabe, you are going to be a big boy and use the potty today right?" He shakes his head while he has his finger in his mouth and his blanket in the other hand. "good job bud." Diaper comes off and he runs to pee in the pot. A few high fives and into underwear.

I hear a "wahhhh" coming from the girls' room. Great, Kate is up. Then Gabe gives me a play by play, "Mama, a baby's crying." 'Alright, thank you Gabe.' I nurse Kate and Anna hears someone is eating without her..."Wahhhhh". I juggle both girls over to the rocker and satisfy both for a moment. I have them both in a perfect position then Anna wiggles around to burp or poop, maybe both (mental note, change their diapers). Great! That throws Kate's position off and now milk is squirting all over them and me. Screams follow because I am not giving them what they want.



Ding Dong...there's the doorbell. Dang it. I don't have time for this! I answer the door with a smile as if I am happy to see him. A guy comes in to look at our furnace that is in need a replacing (yes, we are looking at over $5,000 to get a new one). Gabe offers to take Anna and I juggle Kate while trying to talk to the man. After he looks at everything he needs to he comes into the kitchen where I am at and "crunch" 'Crap, he just stepped on that cereal that I never swept up, (mental note, clean it up when he leaves)'

He gives me the quote and yes, it is still more money than I want to spend but we need heat. After a bunch of small talk and answering his questions on having twins, I send him on his way and finish nursing my babies. AHHH! Both are down for the count. Thanks Gabe for your help.



Lunch time. "Gabe what do you want to eat?" He is pretty easy since the only thing he will eat is a grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich.



He decided a grilled cheese. "Crunch" (mental note, sweep the floor). I scarf mine down because any minute a baby will start crying. Lunch is over and no cries yet. "Gabe, do you want to help me with laundry?" With bright eyes he says yes, bless his sweet heart (mental note, enjoy it while it lasts!) "Great! Go pee first and then we can do it together." A few high fives after wiping a poopy butt and hand washing then we go attack the loads of laundry. He hands me one piece at a time, I fold and he puts his and Isabel's stack of clothes away. What a helper I have.




"Wahhhh". "Mama, a baby is crying!"



'Thank you Gabe, I will get her in a minute.' I pick Kate up and she is wet and so is the bed. Crap! I forgot to change them both last feeding. I change Kate and Gabe entertains her while I change Anna who is also crying and wet at this point. Then I change the sheet on the crib. What a marathon, I am tired! another round of juggling both with only a little bit of squirting this time. Good job girls. We all both talk to the girls and try to get them to smile at us. No such luck, they are wanting to go back to sleep.

We go back into the kitchen for a drink and "CRUNCH" (mental note, sweep the floor). Scrape off the cereal and get a cookie and a drink for both Gabe and me. Oh shoot. "Gabe you are getting chocolate chips on the floor bud."



Oh well, I need to sweep anyway. 'Gabe, go try to squeeze whatever is in you out right quick. Then we can lay down and read this book.' I read the book quickly and then glance at the clock. 'Not enough time to take a nap, Gotta get Isabel in 25 minutes. Shoot! Don't fall asleep Allison!' I go and get the mail. Nothing interesting. Just boring bills and junk that immediately goes into the trash. Bummer!

I run to get Isabel and we race to see who is faster. I get Isabel a snack and take a look at her folder. Good, she has a green for the day. "Wahhh" "Mama, the babies are crying." 'Thank you Gabe, I will get them in a minute.' "Crunch" as I am leaving the kitchen. (Mental note, sweep the floor). I nurse Anna and then as she is falling asleep, Kate kicks into full gear. I nurse her and Anna wakes up. 'Guess I won't get to rest on the couch today.' By this time Isabel has asked to hold the girls a gazillion times.

The phone rings while I am changing a diaper. Yea! My friend Ali that moved away. I try to nurse, tell the older ones to go upstairs and play and talk too. (Ali, I really was listening :0) ) Erik walks in. The noise in the house triples as they shout, "DADDY!!!!!!!!!!" I am thrilled also. I missed him and I am ready for his help too.

All six of us rest on all the couches and watch some tv while I am fighting to stay awake. I pass off the baby I am holding and warm up some taco meat that my sweet brother-in-law, Donnie left us in the freezer...THANK YOU!!!!

Dinner time and Gabe is complaining about how his head hurts and he wants to go to bed. We give him medicine since he is running a fever and put both him and Isabel in the tub with bubbles. As I threaten them with their lives not to splash I return to the kitchen to help Erik put away dishes and clean up. "Crunch" (Mental note, sweep the floor). "Wahhhhh" I grab Kate and nurse her then put her in the Baby Bjorn, whoever made that was genius!



The older kids are in bed and it is time to bath the girls, fill their bellies and put them to bed. Finally, a quiet house. Erik is upstairs on the computer doing his "nightly routine" on the internet while I brush my teeth and take out my contacts. Then I glance in the mirror. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Have I really looked like this all day long? I bet people at that school laughed when I walked out of the door...brace yourself...



Zits are everywhere, I look half dead, I need sleep and a good makeover. I should have put on make up!!!!!!!!!! Poor Erik. He never knew what he was getting himself into when we started having kids. Much less four of them. Oh well!

I make one last trip to the kitchen for some water and "CRUNCH!" ( mental note, who cares!!!) Good night!

12 comments:

Heather said...

I love this blog...very creative. Although, I think that everyone that reads this blog is going to be thinking, "How does Allison do it? She is a rockstar Mama!" Your kids are all very lucky to have you.

P.S. I'm VERY jealous of your washer and dryer

herb said...

After all that you still had the energy to blog?!?!

Am I glad those days are over for us, but on the other hand enjoy it while it lasts. Pretty soon those precious little girls will be crawling al over the house, then walking, then talking, then demanding... Sorry, I got ahead of myself there...

Dawn said...

You are definitely a rock star! I think that is pretty close to my day, minus one baby, plus a two year old and carpool. I wish very badly that I could walk Megan to school! Glad to know that some others don't get a chance to look in the mirror either! Love those chubby cheeks that the girls are getting, keep tha pics coming! And click on the Blog designs link on my page to find instructions on templates and on the right column are instructions to load music. Just put the kids to bed first! Good Luck!

Dana said...

Girl, that was cute girl. I would agree with every one else. I don't know how you do two babies at once. I know I have a lot on my plate but add two babies at once and I think that I might just go baserk.. That is if I am already not there. You are a pro girl. I enjoyed the new post.

klonghall said...

Allison, you are a good writer! The teacher in me is so very impressed! Your natural voice comes through so well as you paint a vivid picture with your words.

Now, the mom in me is exhausted after reading about your day. I'm reminded, again, that you are an amazing mother, and a wonderful part of the Longnecker family. You inspire me to be better.

And, finally, the Aunt in me wants to jump through the computer and take care of some babies and a preschooler for a few hours so that you can take a nap or a long bath or whatever else you want!

BTW, I still think you look beautiful in your grubbies. :-) Thanks for sharing your day with the rest of us.

irvy said...

Allison,

You're amazing. I still owe you that sweep and vacuum anyway. I may just need the distraction one day next week. Those sweet babies are getting so big so fast.

Kim

Carla said...

haha, i love it!! it's so par!! speaking of which, i still need to sweep my floor too. i'll be copying this blog. hope you don't mind : )

Jen said...

Hey Allison! I saw your blog through Kim's! TWINS?! Wow! Congratulations! So many of us can relate to this post! I laughed throughout. There are days I still look in the mirror at night and say: HOLY COW! How many places did I go looking like this - realizing I was still in sweats and a frumpy T-shirt with my hair in a scrunchy, no makeup and bags under my eyes from the few hours of sleep I did manage to get. (School, Wal-mart, the bank, gas station, etc) At least all the busy mom's of lots of little ones out there can relate. Ü

Oh - BTW, Kody has mentioned "Sis Longnecker" a couple times since we moved. Thanks, again, for all your service to me!!

Bond Bedlam said...

ENJOY this time because you will consider it the best time in your life. I know you do not believe it now but you will. I had harried days but can hardly remember them now. I wish I could hold some babies for you. The pictures are adorable.

The Thomas Family said...

Loved this post. Of course I love all your posts. You are the cutest writer. You know everyone wonders how people who have twins do it. You are incredible.

Samantha said...

Your post brightened my day. Some days I feel so overwhelmed with just one baby, house and husband to care for. I can't even imagine how you manage so well with nursing twins and the remaining duties of the household. Your post has put into perspective how much "free" time I really do have.

ChristyLou said...

I just had to go back and read about when your babies were little. What a stud you are! A day like this and you looked that CUTE in your picture?? Allison, you looked beautiful! I don't know how you were able to even think about doing laundry with all of the juggling you had to do. I am so impressed with your stamina and positive, funny way of sharing your experiences. I wish I could have been there to help!