I was looking over the calendar and thinking, "What can I possibly update on?" Last Wednesday we had a Stake Skate. The Stake rented out the entire arena for our Youth, an annual tradition from what I am told. I was in no mood to drive a bunch of loud kids over an hour to go skating! The day had been a long one and I just wanted to lay down and do nothing with my family. But I had already told them I could drive.
It was a good thing I went because all of our cars were packed with hyper and giddy teenagers. I was dreading the ride and knew I probably be bored, listening to them gab the whole way there, since I am not "in their circle". But we cranked up the music, unrolled the windows and all sang our lungs out... it was starting to be a fun night after all.
We got there and my girls scattered, floating around, talking about who would be coming, who liked who, and all those important teenage conversations that MUST go on.
Teresa (Mia Maid Councelor) talked me into getting on a pair of skates. I kept thinking, this girl is nuts. I am going to make a complete fool of myself! I haven't skated in years and I will be the dorky leader out there trying to be "one of the girls". But she convinced me.
I laced up that old ulgy brown pair of skates and prayed not to break anything too important. What was I thinking?
I was wobbly as I got out on the rink and again thought, I was a complete idiot for trying something so foolish! The last thing I need is another broken bone in our home.
As I skated around, carefully making the turns and the lowest possible speed, I saw all the other leaders from our ward watching. I was sure they would all see me hit the ground at any minute. But then I remembered, I am not a teenager anymore. Who cares, have a little fun. And if I fall, I will pick myself up and try not to turn too red. I started picking up speed while Teresa and I talked above the loud music. I was really having a great night!
We skated the entire night together and had a ball. I am going to have to do this more often.
I came home with a blister on each foot! But it was really fun and I am glad I made myself go. I think I will have to take Isabel skating in a few months. She would have a great time! She has already informed me that she knows how to skate and won't fall down. We will see...
No comments:
Post a Comment