Friday, December 9, 2011

5K

There is something about a race that is a bit spiritual. For me, I am no runner. I hate running, mostly due to horrible shin splints that I get (Thank you YouTube for the demo on how to tape them, used about $8 worth of tape). I end up praying the whole time and asking for Heavenly Father to help me make it up a hill, or get to that light pole before I slow down for a few seconds, or to just finish. I know there are my loyal followers ;) that run all the time and a 5k is like a walk in the park for them, but for me, it is a doable race, but that will probably be the longest distance I ever run...and I'm ok with that.

When we started out, I lost the other two girls that were with me. So I picked my person to keep up with. I later found out she was 70 something. HA HA HA! She was keeping a good pace, so my thoughts were, if I could keep up with her then at the end bust out and finish before her. Yes, sad I know. But I could take a 70 something year old woman. Right?!?! (this is the way my brain works) Oh about mile one, my 70 something pacer has left me in her dust. I picked a 9 year old and her mother after that. I was able to keep up with her.

During that first mile was several steep hills. It was pretty rough actually. But then I saw all these women lined up on the side of the road with signs like, "Own this Hill", "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it", "People are watching, Run faster!" and someone even wrote with sidewalk chalk, "You can do it" on the road at our feet. I started feeling like I might even cry. The thought of these people cheering us on, I immediately thought of our Heavenly Father and Savior rooting, cheering, and pumping their fists for us when we make good choices, overcome fears, conquer struggles. I was thankful for that sweet reminder of who is in charge. And whose side we should be on. He always has our back when we are righteous and follow Him.
(the girl behind me was the 9 yr old I kept up with. She was a cutie and did great. Isabel wanted to give me a hug there at the end.)

I was so happy so see the finish line and my family on the side cheering for me. I finished at 34.59. I was happy with that time. The last 5k in 2009 my time was 38 minutes. I know, not very fast but again, I am ok with that. I was happy with the time, that I mostly ran it, and happy that my shins held up.



My new goal is to do a 5k at least twice a year now. They are good for me and after I cross that finish line, I am grateful I did it.

3 comments:

Dana said...

They do a huge race for a cure here in SLC. Its a 5k not sure when it is but you must come and we can do it together. I thought about the weather getting nicer here and WANTING to get out in it. YOu did it girl. I have done 1 5K and remember when I did it. It was a huge feet and accomplishment!!! I am proud of you

Beccarigg said...

First of all, so proud of you for getting out there and running an awesome race! Second of all, love the spiritual take aways you gained from your experience. I feel like running can relate to our spiritual journey on this earth in so many ways! Love the thought of Heavenly Father cheering us on, especially during the tough parts : )

Bond Bedlam said...

Wow a runner