Sunday, June 20, 2010

Daddys

I just wanted to say that I hand picked a good one! I laied in bed this morning and was remembering the first few moments that Erik and I became parents. I remember a lot of those first moments with fear, fondness, boundless love, and pure joy. I loved it when Erik would come home and Isabel would quit nursing and turn her head to the sound of his voice. Or when Erik would lay on the floor with Gabe and build something with him out of the Lego's. Or when he held both Anna and Kate in his arms at once. Or when Erik stayed awake most of the night when Gabe's breathing wasn't good. Or sleeping on the floor in the girl's room because they couldn't be consoled. Or taking way too much time cutting out shapes with cookie cutters so the pancakes would "be fun" for the kids to eat. Or when he comes home for work, and the household stops to run full force to the door and plow him down; everyone cheering "DADDY's HOME!!!!!"

A father is so very important! All you men out there, Don't think your job as a husband, father, provider, and teacher is not worthy of your time. It is a noble calling to have. And when done right, the blessings are unmeasurable. We all need our Daddys. I am grateful that my children have such a wonderful man to look up to.

I am grateful for my Daddy. He has taught me many things in life. I think I am more like him than I ever thought I was. I remember him rebuilding an engine one summer. I "helped" him with that truck every single day he was out there. I helped him clean chimineys on the weekends, and helped spread pinestraw at the church in the hot sun. My Dad has taught me to be a hard worker and that sweat isn't such a bad thing. He has taught me how to earn an honest dollar. He has taught me that books can take me beyond my own world.




I am so thrilled that I love my Father-in-Law. He has always treated me like his own. I enjoy being around him. We don't have to say much but just being in the same room is such a treat. He has a great sense of humor and a lot of patience! He is a good Grandpa and even lets the kids abuse him sometimes. He is a kind man. And a smart man. I love having him in my life.



I love the man my brother turned out to be-I wish I could see him more often. I love my brother-in-laws like my own brothers too. I love that they adore their children and their wives. I love that they love the gospel. I love that they are good examples. I love that they provide for their families.


(I have a WHOLE LOT more borthers-in-law...I just can't find pictures of them in my computer right now.)
Happy Father's Day to all these wonderful men in my life. I love you all!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

What a very lovely post. Thank you for sharing.

Dana said...

What a sweet post Allison. I love the picture of Erik and Gabe and Gabe has his hands down his pants. Just too cute!!!!

klonghall said...

Love the post! We have great men in our family. I'm thankful for all the fine examples that my children have. I know one of my mother's greatest joys was to see the Dads that her boys had become.

Bond Bedlam said...

Thanks Allison - Beautiful post
As a teacher I KNOW how important Dad's are. They make a major impact on their children's lives. I have seen good examples and bad examples - the most important calling is to be a mother or father. Love the post.

Heather said...

No doubt about it, the Longnecker boys are all super Dads. We are some lucky, lucky ladies!