Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What a Morning!

This morning was one of those that you could stay in your bed until 10am and not realize you should be up and moving. The only thing that got me up was that annoying alarm. I miss those pre-school days when we didn't have to answer to anyone.

I got breakfast for Isabel. My constant comments to her in the morning is, "Hurry up Isabel. Keep eating or you're going to be hungry. We are running out of time honey!" She, like me, is NOT a morning person! But this morning it was different. Maybe it was the darkness outside from the sheets of rain pouring down, maybe from total lack of sleep that I was missing, or maybe because Gabe wasn't up, but for some reason I thought we had all the time in the world this morning. We were both in slow motion and both of us were happy to be in it together.

Isabel asked me to color a picture with her. I thought, sure, there's no hurry, we have plenty of time. One page turned into three. All the sudden I realized what time it was and we kicked it into over drive. We were all running around holding onto our butts trying to get out the door.



As I was tying Isabel's tennis shoes I said, "Don't forget your backpack babe." She looked at me as if I was crazy and said, "I won't Mom!" We drive over to the school with sheets of rain pouring down all around us, thankful to be getting rain but staying dry at the same time. As we pulled up to the building I said, "Go ahead and unbuckle and get your backpack on." She gave me a look of fear. "Did you forget your backpack Isabel?" She looked like she was going to cry. My heart broke that she was so upset. I told her not to worry about it, "I will run home and bring it to you." I hugged her.

We went home and got dressed. We refused to walk in that school with my glasses on and both me and Gabe in our PJ's, hair all nappy. I can't embarrass my child like that, or me for that matter! We ran back home, got both of us dressed, washed my face and made sure at least I was somewhat put together, cleaned sleepy dust from eyes, put items on to make sure things stay in place, etc. Still we were in over drive trying to get back fast. I was sweating and out of breath by the time we got back in the car. When we arrived at her classroom she smiled real big and asked, "What took you so long Mom?" AHHHHHH!

3 comments:

Dana said...

I am a newbie to your blog and you intrige me!!! :0) Love ya Dane

Elizabeth said...

Now just wait until you have two more little ones!!!

Elizabeth said...

Herb keeps beating me on making comments. I admit that I have gone to Sophie's school (now Max has speech there too)with crazy hair. Let me just say Sophie used to say I have "disco ball" hair. I tell myself that it's the inside that counts, and I try not to make eye contact. Needless to say, I feel your pain.