Wednesday, May 9, 2007

New Life in our Front Yard


We have a nice little tree that we have been worried about in our front yard. It was starting to bloom then a surprising frost came and has been threatening our wonderful tree. The other day Erik and I were doing yard work and he decide to knock off all the brown ugly leaves that were frost bitten. Then he went back to weed-eating. I stopped mowing for a glass of water. I came back out of the house and saw something moving on the ground. It was a baby bird breathing heavy. I was scared to touch it and asked Erik to come save me and the bird. Erik had gloves on so the human scent hopefully didn't get on the baby. He picked him up and placed him back in the little nest.

Then yesterday I came into the office and looked out the big window. To my surprise, there were four baby birds stretching their necks high up with the mouths wide open waiting for Mom or Dad to come and feed them. I was so excited. I called for the kids to come in and showed them. We watched their mother fly off a dozen times and bring back fat worms or other weird yummy things. It really was neat. Every time she would come back she wouldn't fly directly to the nest. She always checked out everything before she threatened her posterity.

The kids and I loved watching. Isabel even prayed for them last night. She said, "Please bless the baby birds that they can be fed by their Mama bird so they don't die."

Hopefully you can tell what you are seeing in the picture above. If you look closely you can see the Mama on the left side and see the babies sticking their heads up.

No comments: